There is a wide range of convictions and opinions concerning personal appearance. It is essential to maintain respect and sensitivity to one another. We encourage students to maintain high standards of appearance that do not detract from the inner beauty of spirit, which is so important to God. To help accomplish this standard, MCDS is using the following guidelines to determine dress that is God-honoring and appropriate. Please note that the following dress guidelines are to be followed for all school functions and extra-curricular activities, including school programs and field trips, unless the teacher or administrator gives a written exception to parents.
- Is it Safe?
- Is it Modest?
- Is it Appropriate and functional?
- Is it Respectful?
- Is it Tasteful and neat?
For further clarification and based on the criteria above, the following accessories and dress items are NOT permissible at MCDS:
- Waist chains, body piercings, and tattoos
- Distracting jewelry, hair, clothing, and other accessories
- Skirts, slits, skorts, and dresses shorter than four finger-lengths from the knee when standing
- Shorts shorter than a 5-inch inseam
- Tight skirts and dresses
- Transparent or skin-tight clothing, halter tops, and clothing that exposes the midriff or cleavage
- Spaghetti straps and tank tops/dresses with less than a 3-inch strap width
- Sweat suits and pajamas
- Leggings without a longer top over them. Front and backside must be covered.
- Clothing/accessories with offensive, negative, disrespectful, violent, or sexually suggestive
- Caps or hoods worn over the head while indoors
- Beach shoes, shower shoes, and bedroom slippers, or heels higher than 2 inches
Graduation and Seasonal Programs/Banquets
MCDS is requiring that students come to special events, such as programs, graduation, and banquets, in a slightly dressed up version of the dress code. Please note that in the event a student’s outfit is inappropriate and/or revealing, he/she may not be allowed to participate in the ceremony or program. If in doubt, please do not wear it. You may ask permission ahead of time if you are not
BOYS: Pants with polo or button down shirts (Ties are optional.)
GIRLS: Modest dresses, skirts, or dress pants with blouse
In addition to the school dress code, the following are NOT permitted at graduations, sports award nights, or seasonal programs:
All students: Please wear sneakers on days they have gym.
Middle School students: Middle School students are required to bring a change of gym clothes, which includes sweat pants or shorts of modest length, T-shirts with sleeves, and sneakers, or a designated sports uniform. All Middle School students will be required to change back again after gym class.
New Middle School students will be given one school cinch bag to be used to transport PE clothes to and from school. Cinch bags are the only ones that may be hung on the hooks in the Middle School hallway. All other duffle bags for MCDS Sports participants must be stored on the hooks in the gym. If the cinch bag provided by the school needs replacing in the four years as a middle school student at
MCDS, parents will be responsible for the cost of the new cinch bag.
Steps in Enforcing Dress Code Regulations
1. Questionable dress shall be referred to the Administrator or Principal for an evaluation on what is a violation of the dress code. If the inseam needs to be measured, the student will be given another pair of shorts to wear while the article of clothing is measured.
2. If the article of clothing is deemed to violate the dress code policy, the school will provide alternative clothing for the student to wear the rest of the day. Depending on the offense, the student may not be allowed to participate in a school-sponsored event unless appropriate clothes are brought from home for them to wear. Any article of clothing given to a student by the school is expected to be washed and return to the school within 3 days.
3. Administrator or Principal shall notify parents of student’s violation by form letter and/or phone call.
4. Unwillingness of parents and students to comply with the dress code for MCDS students will be referred to the School Board for appropriate action.